Nouveau Raw online is a wonderful site that compliments and nourishes my life. It seems as though leaning into my life and living with the only truth I know today leave room for improvisation. That is whether I plan things and God allows life to happen, I am present in both worlds. Cancer changed my life in so many ways. When it was happening I thought it was some sort of punishment or cruel joke. Now I realize that it was yet another lesson that my life can use as a catalyst to transform my life for the better. Ladies and Gentlemen, that is what my father gave me. I started cooking when I was eight years old and by the time I was sixteen, he gladly passed the cooking to me. I remember particularly on Father’s Day he and my brother would come to the table with the napkin tucked into their shirts ala cartoon characters and the folk and knife in each hand asking…”Where are we going tonight”… So I bring to you and your palette’s via Raw Food Alchemy by Amie Sue. Have a wonderful weekend…til the next post, Peace Out! JBC 😎
I believe that every dish of food we plate, should be as nutrient packed as it is tasty. Raw Lentil Tacos serves up both requirements. I used sprouted lentils which are exploding with wonderful health benefits such as; abundant source of protein, excellent source of dietary soluble fiber, and they are alkaline-forming in the body.
Sunflower seeds provide mono-unsaturatedoleic acid which helps to lower the “bad cholesterol” and increases the “good-cholesterol” in the blood. Sunflower seeds along with the portobello mushrooms are packed with calcium, iron, manganese, zinc, magnesium, selenium, and copper.
Adding in all the wonderful fresh veggies, then tie it all together with the warming fiesta flavors of the taco seasoning…. and well shoot, these tacos make for a wonderful meal that is packed full of nutrients and flavor.
For taco shells, I turned to simplicity… butter leaf lettuce. You do have options though. If you want something a bit more fancy, try my Sun-dried Tomato Corn Wraps . I also have a few other sides that would pair wonderfully with these Lentil Tacos such as; Chili Corn Crackers, Nacho Chili “Cheese”Corn Chips, Refried Beans (unfried-beanless-recipe), or if you don’t want to make the taco “meat” from lentils, you can make my other taco “meat” recipe that uses walnuts. So many wonderful options.
Taco lentil “meat”: yields 2 cups
- 1 cup sprouted lentils
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds, soaked and dehydrated
- 2 cups portobello mushrooms
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 1/2 tsp taco seasoning
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 avocado, sliced into strips
- 1 -2 heads butter lettuce
- Sprout the lentils to enhance their nutritional value.
- Place the sunflower seeds in the food processor, fitted with the “S” blade, and pulse a few times to break them down just a bit.
- Wash and dry the mushrooms. Remove the stems and discard. Place the mushrooms and lentils in the food processor and pulse about 4 times to break them down.
- Add the onion and taco seasoning. Pulse everything together. Be careful not to over process and turn it into a mash.
- Heating option ~ place the lentil “meat” into a wide-mouthed container that fits inside of the dehydrator. Warm at 115 degrees until it reaches the desired warmth. The “meat” will darken in bit in time, this is normal and just fine.
- Store in the fridge up to 3 days.
- Follow the directions and then place the sauce in a squeeze bottle. This is a wonderful way to drizzle it on the tacos.
- Slice everything into strips.
- Select all the large pieces of butter leaf lettuce to use as taco shells, build the taco with layers of goodness and enjoy!
- I used my taco shell mold as a taco holder for dinner. It was so perfect! Each slot held two tacos, so I was able to load up 6 tacos and serve them.
Here’s to an easy peazy Father’s Day! YOLO Have an awesome weekend. Bon Apetit!
Copyright © 2011-2014 by Jannat Marie/Jazzybeatchick. All rights Reserved.
This material has been copyrighted, feel free to share it with others; it can be distributed via social media or pingbacks or added to websites; please do not change the original content and please provide appropriate credit by including the author’s name or visual artist @ http://jazzybeatchick.com your readers shall not be charged by you under any circumstance.